The annoying ear infections are usually caused by viruses or bacteria in the middle ear. They occur more often in children than adults. Some contributing factors and causes that lead to ear infections are internal injuries, food allergies, fetal alcohol syndrome, wax buildup, upper respiratory infections, environmental allergies, genetics and nutritional deficiencies. Some common signs that someone is suffering from an ear infection are difficulty sleeping, poor response to sounds, diarrhea, pain in the ear, headache, tugging at the ear, high fever, fluid draining from the ear, vomiting and so on.
The ear is made up of three parts: inner, middle and outer.
Each of the parts of the ear has specific functions that help a person hear. You can see in the diagram that the outer ear which is shaped like a leaf captures the traveling sound waves. In the outer part of our ear, there is a section called as pinna and through this section the sound waves enter into the ear canal. Through the ear canal the sound waves reach the eardrum which is located in the middle part. Even more, the middle section of the ear also has other important ear organs like anvil, hammer, semicircular, stir up and middle canal. Through the canal, sound waves travel to the inner section of our ear. In the inner part of the ear, there are important ear parts like cochlea, Eustachian tube, and nerves. Sound waves from the canal are sent to the nerves so that the brain can process the sound. After that we are able to recognize the sound and understand it.
An ear infection can occur in any of the three parts, but the inner ear infections are the most serious ones. It is important to treat an ear infection to prevent complications, including rupturing or damaging the ear drum. Untreated ear infections can cause deafness and also lead to chronic recurrence! It is important to visit your doctor, but if you want an immediate relief you can try some natural treatments.There are many easy, simple and time honored home remedies that can help to get rid of the pain and other symptoms of an ear infection.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for an ear infection.
To treat ear infections and minor earaches you can use holy basil. It can reduce infection as well as relieve ear pain.
- Crush 4 to 5 fresh holy basil leaves gently to extract the juice. Apply the basil juice around or on the infected ear. Avoid getting the juice in the ear canal.
- You can also mix a few drops of coconut oil and holy basil oil. Soak a cotton ball in the mixture and gently wipe just the inside of the ear, around the outer edge and behind the ear. Repeat the process two times a
2. Tea Tree Oil
The mild antibacterial properties present in tea tree oil can give instant relief from earache. To treat an ear infection, follow the steps below.
- Mix a teaspoon of colloidal silver, 3 drops of tea tree oil, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Warm the mixture slightly.
- Lay on your side with your head on a towel. With a dropper, fill your ear with the mixture and let it sit for 5 Then turn and lay on your other side so that the mixture drains out of your ear completely.
- Follow this remedy two to three times a day for two days.
- . Salt
Salt is probably the most readily available home remedy.